Monday, October 31, 2011
And he said in a flat, I've-seen-it-all-before monotone, "It should be no surprise."
Then one of the two middle aged black women dressed for church in line behind me added, "If it smells like a rose, and it looks like a rose..."
"The sucker is a rose," I finished with a grin. We all laughed, and then old Herman starting in singing about Jesus on the TV.
And I said, "I don't know, but I'm glad he has Jesus, 'cause he's gonna need him before all this is said and done!" More laughter, and well wishes all around before we went our separate ways.
Sunday, October 30, 2011
Makes 4 servings
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 shallots, thinly sliced
1 medium Zucchini cut into disks and then quartered
1 pkg of Oyster Mushrooms removed from base and separated
1 small garlic clove, minced
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 (13.5-ounce) can coconut milk
1 lemongrass stalk, finely chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, if desired, and thinly sliced
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
Finely grated zest of 1 lime
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
Freshly squeezed lime juice to taste
Cooked rice, for serving (optional — the author particularly like sticky rice, I did not use any rice and it was fine.)
Heat the oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook, stirring, until the shallots are softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the stock, coconut milk, lemongrass, jalapeno pepper, vinegar, fish sauce, sugar, salt and lime zest. Simmer for 10 minutes.
Stir in the seafood, mushrooms, zucchini and herbs. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring regularly. Put on lowest heat and let simmer while setting table, etc.
Stir in the lime juice and serve with rice, if desired.
Friday, October 28, 2011
Thursday, October 27, 2011
Tuesday, October 25, 2011
Monday, October 24, 2011
Sunday, October 23, 2011
The Changing Light
The changing light
at San Francisco
is none of your East Coast light
none of your
pearly light of Paris
The light of San Francisco
is a sea light
an island light
And the light of fog
blanketing the hills
drifting in at night
through the Golden Gate
to lie on the city at dawn
And then the halcyon late mornings
after the fog burns off
and the sun paints white houses
with the sea light of Greece
with sharp clean shadows
making the town look like
it had just been painted
But the wind comes up at four o'clock
sweeping the hills
And then the veil of light of early evening
And then another scrim
when the new night fog
And in that vale of light
the city drifts
anchorless upon the ocean
~ Lawrence Ferlinghetti, 1919 -
Saturday, October 22, 2011
Went to the ARTomatic Frederick art fair held in the old Frederick County Board of Education Building formerly a High School of some sort, I am certain.
The art ran the gamut from the predictable to the whimsical.
In one room where paintings by a friend.
I have to say that the "cow abduction" possessed a certain allure. Fortunately, the $1,700.00 price tag saved me from my momentary infatuation.
Altogether, around 300 artists had their works on display. It's free to the public and on display through November 6, 2011.
Friday, October 21, 2011
Been riding the fence for a while. Took stock of it today. Placed the Bumper Sticker on my silver Nissan Frontier king-cab pick-up; a.k.a."Mi Maduro Burro".
Some of what Obama has done that makes me proud to support his re-election
• Improved Healthcare Coverage for 32 million American's
• 4 million more children covered by Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
• 5 billion in additional investments in Head Start, Early Head Start and a range of child care programs, and programs for children with special needs
• Over 45 billion spent to retain teachers in the past 3 years
• Doubling Pell Grant funding with an additional 40 billion
• Medical care for American's with disabilities
1. National Alzheimer's Project Act
2. Early Hearing Detection and Intervention Act
3. Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act
4. Repealed restrictions on Stem Cell Research
• 20 billion increase in Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
• 1.5 billion in Homeless Prevention Funds
• 2% payroll tax cut in 2010
• $2,400, $4,800 and $9,600 tax credits for business who hire unemployed veterans increasing for longterm employment and employment for vets with disabilities related to their service.
• Lily Ledbetter Fair Pay Act
• Sonia Sotomayor appointed to the United States Supreme Court
• Elena Kagan appointed to the United States Supreme Court
• Repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell
• Matthew Shepherd and James Byrd Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act
• Expansion of same-sex partners benefits for Foreign Service and Executive Branch employees
• Supporting video for the "It Gets Better Project"
• Removal of nearly 100,000 troops from Iraq and end of the War there
• Repatriation of 28 detainees held at Guantanemo Bay
• Removal of leading Terrorist leaders: Osama bin Laden , Sayeed al-Masri , Abu Ayyub al-Masri , Abu Omar al-Baghdadi , Anwar al-awlaki , Abu Hafs al-Shahri , ‘Atiyah ‘Abd al-Rahman , Ammar al-Wa’ili , Abu Ali al-Harithi, Ali Saleh Farhan, Harun Fazul, Baitullah Mahsud, Noordin Muhammad to name a few.
• Justice Department no longer defends DOMA
With the exception of the killing terrorists, I can't imagine a Republican Administration doing any of this.
Sunday, October 16, 2011
Saturday, October 15, 2011
Matija G. is a member of the Kockice Lego club and I LOVE his work, he has such a total handle of the power of the little bricks. Best I can figure because of his seemingly limitless supply of bricks, he's some sort of Croatian millionaire, too!