Thursday, June 30, 2005

Costa Rican Memoir #2, part 1


ourcostaricanqueen
Originally uploaded by Randuwa.
The year that I spent in Costa Rica was amazing in so many ways. Again, I was young and idealistic (versus older and idealistic, still!). And when I lived there I ran with a group of ex-pat's who were also around my age and equally in love with the possibilities of life. I regret that I have lost contact with all of them since then.

On one occasion a group of us set out on an adventure to the extreme northeast of the country and the village called Tortuguero. It was our hope to witness the ancient sea turtles' arrival and laying of their eggs in an annual ritual older than man. To get there we secured train fare to Limon, spent a night in the cock roach infested Hotel Miami (hopefully it's improved it's hygiene or been torn down!), and then secured passage on an inter-coastal ferry headed north. (The picture is of our "Costa Rican Queen.")

It was on this boat that I met Mr. M. He haled from Austria and was one of 6 Europeans on the voyage. There were two couples from Belgium, his traveling companion from Spain (an older gentleman, Mr. P.), and himself. My group was made up of 5 Americans; and the rest of the travelers were locals. At various points along the trip the boat would stop to off load a passenger or two into a dug out canoe, and then as they rowed away with their cargo (furniture, sheets of corrugated tin, a pig, or a crate with chickens), the boat we were on would fire up its engine again and away we would go.

I was standing on the side of the boat staring at the jungle in amazement, when Mr. M stepped up to me and introduced himself. He earlier noticed me reading a book of psalms and said, "So I see you are a religious man." A religious man? -- Hardly, but it was a bold way to begin a conversation.

I still remember how, this simple declaration led to him telling me of his life, his journey to Central America, his volunteer work in Nicaragua. At one point he broke down and cried while telling me about his family and how much he missed them. My heart utterly embraced him in his moment of loneliness. What a precious gift he had given to me.

Finally, toward evening, we arrived at our destination for the night...the coastal village of Tortuguero. With so much more to tell, I will save the rest of this rememberance for another post. Your forbearance is graciously appreciated.

No comments: