Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Happy Holidays


charliebrownchristmas
Originally uploaded by Randuwa.
Amidst the current flap over the difference between "Christmas" trees and "Holiday" trees, there runs a tradition that harkens me back to my youth every year. The TV animated specials are Christmas for me! It wouldn't be a Holiday season without them.

There are 4 that stand head and shoulders above the rest: "Rudolph, the Red Nosed Reindeer," "The Grinch that Stole Christmas," "Frosty the Snowman," and (first among equals) "A Charlie Brown Christmas." I own the VHS. I can watch it any time that I like. But it seems nearly blasphemous to shun the national ritual of watching it on TV as it is broadcast to everyone, versus creating a random and private viewing.

And when Linus speaks of the true meaning of Christmas...the noses of magical reindeer glow, the hearts of crumudgeonly creatures grow, and Snowmen resist the urge to melt.... It's pure Christmas magic.

Like the the virgin birth, and unconditional love: it instills in us a sense of the possible, even if the present argues against it.

Happy/Merry Holidays/Christmas!!

No comments: