Friday, March 24, 2006

Kentucky Memoire #4/What I'm Watching #12


gallipolli
Originally uploaded by Randuwa.
Guess I'm feeling a little Kentucky nostalgic!

This film is one of the most powerful pictures I have ever watched. As a student at Asbury College, I first viewed it with a group of other young men from the school. One of whom would go on to a stint in the Marines, switch to the Navy, and command a fighter squadron on the USS Enterprise during the first Iraq War.

We bantered and cajoled one another all the way to the theatre. Once inside we sat riveted to our seats and to the story. And the thing I remember MOST about that evening was the silence.

The theatre was silent at the end. The people left the theatre in silence. We rode back the 17 miles of winding country roads to our dorm rooms in utter, profound silence. Our thoughts were just too damn heavy to express or share.

No comments: