Friday, April 14, 2006

Art I'm Seeing #4


fransvanmieris
Originally uploaded by Randuwa.
I also toured the Frans van Mieris exhibit while I visited the National Gallery of Art, today.

Van Mieris (1635-1681) was a Dutch painter mainly of genre works and portraits. He studied under Gerritt Dou, and was a contemporary of Johannes Vermeer. The exhibit is a joint concoction between the National Gallery of Art and the Mauritshuis in the Netherlands. It's displayed in the three small galleries at the NGA known as the Dutch Cabinetry galleries. An intimate space that is just perfect for this show.

The works are relatively small, amazingly detailed, and full of rich technique and delightful imagery. Can you tell I'm a fan? Which kinda says something, as I'm that enamored with the painters from this place and period. Don't get me wrong, I have my favorites (Maes, Dou, Vermeer), but it's a rather exclusive club in the overall world of my artistic aesthetic. Today, add to it, Frans van Mieris.

Take the painting at hand. It's title "The Brothel". And this is just a detail from the whole painting. Looking at the technique you have an ability to portray fabric that is stunning. The light, the perspective, and the subjects: all symbiotic. And the subject...a brothel, hmmmm…two people otherwise engaged in playful conversation. So what confirms the brothel status? The dogs humping!, of course. When I noticed that, I laughed out loud -- to the chagrin a woman standing next to me, who proceeded to comment on my action to her husband in Dutch... I hope she didn't think I was ridiculing her countryman...because, in fact, I was thoroughly enjoying everything about him!

No comments: