Sunday, August 26, 2007

My Quilting Ways #01


k&squilt
Originally uploaded by Randuwa
A new friend who'd heard that I quilt asked me about how I'd gotten started. Hmmmm... That made me think for a second; because sometimes the "how" gets usurped by the "what" and "why"!

This is a photo I just found of part of my first quilt.

THE WHAT: It's a giant word search puzzle with 588 arrayed letters. I appliquéd each letter to each block by hand. I coordinated the fabrics so that the same two fabrics were used in each letter. The puzzle contains the names of 70 classical music composers. And like any good word search puzzle they appear forward or backward, horizontally, vertically and diagonally. The top row contains the title of the quilt:

X X S E V E N T Y X C O M P O S E R S X X

And the squares that do not house a letter with a composer's name contain a poem (when strung together) to bless the quilt's recipients. To distinguish this puzzle within a puzzle, I reversed the fabrics used for letter and background.

THE WHY: I made this as a gift to my dearest friend and his wife on the occasion of their wedding. My friend is a musician and a music teacher. Both he and his wife are avid puzzle players. And while I'd never made a quilt before, it seemed to make sense at the time! And by and large that experience has formed the basis for my quilting ways. I make quilts for people I love. I make quilts because I love to work with fabric.

But as to THE HOW?--God only knows!

No comments: