Tuesday, June 17, 2008

What I'm Reading #8 (Summer Reading #3)


subpoint
Originally uploaded by Randuwa
Still more poetry, and this one's a real find! A new poet to me. Jason Schneiderman is quick, witty, playful with things most serious. He knows how to make his point with a unique, original voice.

A graduate of the University of Maryland, at one point not to long ago he was a neighbor unknown.

Here's a taste of his dark whimsy:

V

When you die, I get your heart
Because I need a piece of you
That's the way it was when you
Were alive -- not a memory or a photograph
But a part that I can hold
In a box, that I can keep in the bed
And hold while I sleep.
Love, I love all of you --
The cobblestone of your acne-scarred back,
The ring of stomach fat you hate,
There is nothing I can't embrace,
Nothing I won't miss or remember.
All things come to those who wait:
God loves an expiration date.

You won't likely find this collection in a local bookstore (If you still have one of those things), but you can buy it online and I would heartily recommend that you do.

No comments: