Saturday, June 06, 2009

What I'm Reading #15


lifestory, originally uploaded by Randuwa.

Took time from quilting to peruse one of my all time favorite children's books. Virginia Lee Burton (1909-1968) created a history of our universe that gradually spirals down from billions of years to millions or years to thousands of years...... to a single year of change. Each page features a beautifully stylized illustration upon which the era, epoch, age, day is revealed like a scene on a stage. The narrator is always present, as well (reminiscent of Sondheim's narrator in "Into The Woods").

I love this book. It's factually accuracy remains unassailed, and it's detailed images demand more than a casual glance. I can't think of a better book to give a child.

The jacket cover contains this recommendation:

"Ages: To Look At 4-6; To Read Aloud 6-10; To Read To Yourself 10 up" I couldn't agree more!

No comments: