Sunday, July 26, 2009

E. Lynn Harris RIP

E. Lynn Harris has died! At the tender age of 54, too.... My first love of his was his 1998 novel, "If This World Were Mine." I bought it in an airport bookstore on a whim, and had devoured it between Houston and Managua in one sitting. Ever since, I was complete fan of his work.

Was he in the same league as a Hemingway, Baldwin, or Sinclair? No. But he was an amazing story-teller, who wasn't afraid to include the presence of the DL Black men in his tales; and was that amazing? -- Hell yes!

News of his death has hit me like a gut punch. I wanted more of his stories and expected them for many more years to come...yet, I am grateful for the ones he wrote until now. May his spirit inform us all and inspire the next generation most expecially.

No comments: