Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Step by Step

Most of my life has been about living in the midst of familiar objects. And I have been exceedingly blessed to have been given access to things from my family--first my parents, and then my grandparents. It's be a comfort on many levels: not having to buy things, adding my karma to the energy stream of the past, discovering a strange connectedness. But life itself intervenes at times, and it's not always a good thing to cling to the past--in spite of all the support that it can provide.

My first lesson at really creating my own space came when my ex- declared his intention to split in 2003. Out of this I defined for the first time as an adult my bedroom. It was in 2005 that I completed this process with my dining room. A room that was so significant in the life of my partnered days, but remained a place with lingering memories that were not free of baggage.

In 2008 is was the renovation of the my sunporch. Previously, a space that had become a de facto storage room helpless against the whims of the weather or the seasons. The transformation gave me a whole new living space.

And now there is this sofa....t was originally purchased by my grandparents in the 1930's. It was reupholstered in 1989. It's solid and comfortable and time to be enjoyed by someone else. And once in the home of another will allow me the opportunity to define my living room as my space, too.

No comments: