Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Land-"Shakes!" Alive

Oh my, another earthquake in the land of ... well, no earthquakes. The first one occurred in the wee hours of the morning back on July 16, 2010. It was a paltry 3.6 by comparison, but the epicenter was much closer. And still it's relative lack of energy only rattled my in my bed.

Then today there was this considerably more enthusiastic shaker. 5.8 centered some 85 miles to the south of where I live.

At the time, I was leading part of a training with about 40 teachers when I started to feel the floor vibrate, as the vibration continued to slowing intensify I said, to the people in my discussion group, "What is this? An earthquake?" and then the floor bounced a little and bucked good jolt sending everyone swaying and then it rumbled to a halt. Yep, it was an earthquake.

To be honest, I was a little embarrassed for how many people around me overreacted. It's given me a mite of concern over experiencing a REAL disaster around them. But then, everyone wants their lives to be the most amazing, exciting things. Which isn't to say that being in a second floor cinderblock classroom while it shifts a couple inches one way and then abruptly back to roughly it's original GPS locale isn't extraordinary. It's just not the same as the end of civilization as we know it.


No comments: