Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Half A Life Ago!

Began the process of gutting half of my basement--it was supposed to be the project that I had planned to do for the entire break, but plans get changed sometimes. Anyways, in the process I came across this picture of me taken in Jessamine Creek Gorge Kentucky in the spring of 1985 or 86, I would have been around 24/25--half a life ago... What a good life so far, too!

This rock was the #1 clandestine location for students from my Kentucky College (Asbury) in the mid 70's thru the early 90's. It was officially off-limits after a student and member of the school's famed gymnastics team fell from it to miraculously survive as a paraplegic (an event that occurred prior to my enrollment, and was the stuff of legend by the time I arrived).

To get there you had to trespass through a series of fields and a sloping wooded area (on one occasion--not this one--I was actually fired upon by the owner of the land! The friend, Ruth, who was with me on that visit and I ended up hiking out the VERY long way back to my truck. What was meant to be a couple of hours of hiking turned into nearly 6+ hours of some serious exercise--oh to be young and foolish again!). Yet the risks seemed so worth the awesome beauty of the place at the time. It's all just so amazing--like I said, a good life, so far!

No comments: