Sunday, October 14, 2012

My Life Snapshot: 13 OCT 12

I ran by Behnke's Nursery this afternoon to grab something for a little project that I've been contemplating. I was next in line at the only cashier open--it was about 4:30 pm and the place was pretty dead. Then a cute young man wearing the Behnke's red t-shirt came into the check out area after loading another customer's plants and beaconed me over to a second register that he was going to open. He was lanky, not very tall, and all of 18 (maybe) with a great shaggy head of dirty blond hair and one of those soul patch tufts under his bottom lip. He was pleasant in a hyper non-chalant "cool kid" fashion, and he sort of mumbled his words the way teenagers seem always to do when on their own in the presence of unfamiliar adults. Once totaled, I swiped my debit card, and he asked me to sign my name on the electronic pad. After finishing, he suddenly became more animated and said in a cheery up-beat voice, "Hey, you have a great signature. It's nicer than most of the wo.....um, other people, who shop here." It was all I could do to keep from bursting out in a laugh. I met is suddenly sheepish expression with a mischievous grin, and said, "I get that from my dad." The slightest of pauses and then he smiled, too, and said, "Thank you, sir."

No comments: