Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Fiscal Cliff?

FISCAL CLIFF averted: my thoughts. This was a made-up crisis intended to scare and manipulate Americans into greater partisan frenzy. So, what does it mean to be a Citizen of the United States? That's where we need to start our conversation. Are we to be whiners and self-centered greedy persons (like the characture being proffered in conservative media by the majority of modern day "Republican" shills--Hannity, Limbaugh, Coulter, Malkin, O'Reilly, Beck, etc.)? Or does it mean that we believe in a "common good"? Support a "common welfare"? That we are "one nation" "indivisible" willing to pay our FAIR share to insure "liberty and justice for all" not just those who can afford it? When I look at what the compromise against falling off of the fiscal cliff means to me, I think it means that my country, my beloved United States, will be able to meet its bills, pay it's employees, provide infrastructure maintenance and improvement, secure our borders and safety, pursue knowledge, research and development against the things that no single person, no state can do. And on a personal level, I will end up paying approximately $2000.00 dollars more in Federal Taxes in 2013. That's my obligation thanks to this "crisis" resolution. This will be a significant pinch to my personal spending. It's basically my discretionary budget for the year. Bye bye new Legos! It is the result of the expiration of the "Payroll Tax Cut" legislation that I have enjoyed for the past couple of years. But guess what? I live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. If I had to choose between paying $2000.00 more a year and living anywhere else, the price of admission is preferred. I had no choice in being born here. That fact alone has made my life so much more comfortable and affluent than 94% of my fellow human beings on this planet. I want to believe that we citizens of this nation are more than just a bunch a spoiled, greedy, little self-absorbed, money-obsessed, trolls. But when I watch how so much of our conservative media moans and bitches about paying taxes, I just feel sad. Am I the only adult in the room? Here's an appropriate use the expletive that John Boehner tossed in anger at Harry Reid last Friday after being called out for his abysmal failure as the "leader" of the House--we all just need to grow the fuck up.

No comments: