Saturday, April 26, 2014

Big Man

This afternoon I was waiting in the check out queue at Giant with some groceries, when the young man who was standing behind me's phone buzzed. He answered and assured the caller that he had gotten everything "that is essential". I glanced back past my pile to see three things: Zatarain's New Orleans style red beans and rice mix, a Kraft macaroni and cheese mix, and a six pack of Corona's. The rest of his phone conversation was brief, but was carried out in a Jamaican Patois. 

When he finished, he said in his intoxicating lilt to no one in particular. "Boy, it is a beautiful day out there. Ja has given us a wonderful day to enjoy." 

The cashier and I agreed. 

When I took my bags I turned back to him and said, "Take care, my friend" (I call lots of people 'my friend', it's just a thing I do.) 

And he replied, "'ave a blessed day, Big Man." 

Big Man.... ehhh, I am what I am!

No comments: