Saturday, October 17, 2015

Audrey's Winter Home

Back in 1985, I took on this little philodendron that was in a plant arrangement that someone sent to my father's funeral.  Over the years, I transplanted it from one pot to another slightly larger pot, and in 1994 when I moved from Kentucky to Maryland, I picked it up and brought it with me.  Once here, it began an annual ritual of moving outside in the warm months to live in the open air of the back deck, and then back inside before the first frost to winter where it was warm.  At some point, the plant was christened "Audrey" in honor of the plant from "The Little Shop of Horrors," right?
Well, the time came once again to make the pilgrimage inside.  But this time, I accepted the fact that I could no longer do it alone--not even with the help of my industrial grade dolly.  Fortunately, my young and fit neighbor, Tim was able to add the extra bit of strength that turned the impossible to the fairly simple.  And "Audrey?"  All she said was, "Feed me...."

No comments: