Saturday, January 09, 2016

An Evening @ The Theater: The Main Event "West Side Story"

As to the main event, Signature Theater's production of "West Side Story" was spectacular! It was my fist visit to the venue and it is small--only seats about 300. We had front row seats in a setting that was 3 quarters in the round. The stage area was only about 20 feet across and 40-50 feet deep. We were right THERE! The singing was amazing and the dancing even better. There was so much energy and athleticism in the choreography. It was simply wonderful! Both Tony (Austin Colby) and Maria (MaryJoanna Grisso) had amazing voices--and YES, I cried for both "One Hand, One Heart" and "Somewhere". (Dammit, Jim, I a man, not a machine!) Anita (Natascia Diaz) was another very strong presence. I thought "America" was going to get a standing ovation. And the show-stopper that really should have gotten a standing ovation was "Gee, Officer Krumpke" lead by Action (Ryan Fitzgerald). My companion for the evening spoke about seeing the show done at an acclaimed theater and said that this production was hands down better. I feel so fortunate to live in a place with such amazing theater.




No comments: