Sunday, June 11, 2006

In Memorium


mr.s&me1996
Originally uploaded by Randuwa.
I live in a wonderfully diverse neighborhood on the northern edge of the District of Columbia. We are gay and straight, married, single, partnered, black, white, asian, speakers of English, speakers of Spanish, or Chinese, Japanese and French. The diversity that we represent only enriches our lives. I know that it has often made mine more interesting.

Tonight, I learned of the passing into ancestry of my neighbor's father and my friend, Mr. S.

Shortly after purchasing my home with my ex-, Ms. S. purchased the home directly across the street. We've been neighbors for 12 years. When she was away and a careless contractor broke a window in her basement and left it, I went over and repaired it with the help of our other neighbors Mr. & Mrs. C. When a massive limb from my ancient sugar maple inexplicably snapped off and blocked the street one evening, she joined with the self-same neighbors and worked in the dark of that night to help me dispose of it's debris. We do for each other what needs to be done, because we are neighbors.

And as long as I can remember, whenever her parents visited, we would all get together for a meal at a local restaurant, or in one another's home. At one point, it became a bit of joke how her father would emerge from her car after riding from the airport (and a 23 hour flight with connections from Japan) and immediately cross the street to greet me and deposit a gift.

A retired public official, he once pulled a picture out of his wallet with the explanation that he was photographed with "my guy". The picture was of him and John Paul II at the Vatican. It was taken during a diplomatic visit to the Holy See in which he was the chief representative for Japan. I am not Catholic, but such subtlies were not his forte.

This picture was taken of us on my deck during a visit back in 1996 when my ex- and I hosted him and his family for a barbeque.

The joy of life is always tempered by the sorrow of death. It is a reminder that we must always look out for one another, must always accept the generosity of others, must, MUST cherish each moment. So that when we become no longer a presence in the physical reality, our presence in the hearts of those who remain will be a force for good, a witness of good-acts, and a memory of goodness to be cherished; so that in goodness we each may live on in the hearts and minds and stories of the living.

My dear Mr. S., May Light Perpetual Shine Upon You!

No comments: