Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Art I'm Seeing #5


TannerImage
Originally uploaded by Randuwa.
Henry Ossawa Tanner (1859-1937) might actually be the first great African American artist. He was the first to attend the Pennsylvania Academy of Art in Philadelphia (at a time when it was not only the oldest but the most prestegious art school in America). He studied under Thomas Eakins, for one. And while eagerly claimed as an American artist, he did spend much of his life as an ex-patriot in France (as have many of our greatest artists!). Nevertheless, I fell in love with his art the first time I happened upon it.

Tanner presents ideas with such an expressive brush. To stand before one of his canvases is to stand beside him and feel his passion. And held in the cusp of this power is his use of paint to convey emotion by creating images in which light itself is the subject's subject. In my own limited art, I love the play of light upon images, no wonder Tanner was so easily able to grab my heart.

So it was Sunday past that I drove up to Baltimore to tour the Baltimore Museum of Art's exhibit: "Henry Ossawa Tanner and His Influence in America". I had no idea what to expect. And as those of you who either know me, or have read my thoughts on art, it's not my nature to be disappointed. Yet, I really did feel let down by the exhibit.

Hardly fitting two rooms, the majority of the works presented were not those of Tanner. Out of the approximately 35 images, only 6 were done by Tanner -- 1 from the BMA's holdings: a portrait (and promised donation) of the artist's father: Subject fascinating, execution so-so; 1 from a private collection (small and content significant, but stylistically a bit player); and 4 from the collection of the Des Moines, Iowa Arts Center.

Tanner is such an amazing artist. His influence is leagion. And this attempt to convey that influence....well, disappointing. NOT disappointing were the works themselves, even 6 Tanners is better than none. And now I have no reason to travel to Des Moines!

No comments: