Monday, August 21, 2006

What I'm Watching #28


andresmother
Originally uploaded by Randuwa.
I was absolutely thrilled to see this American Playhouse, theatrical film adaptation of the Terrence McNally play "Andre's Mother," available on video. As a movie, it views like a play. It's principles shine here with such dramatic restraint and power. Sada Thompson and Richard Thomas are brilliant: and their supporting cast is amazing.

The premise is set as a series of flashbacks triggered by the words spoken at Andre's memorial service. At one point early on, a friend performs "L'Amero, Saro Costante" from "Il Re Pastore," an obscure opera by Mozart (kershall #208). It's one of the most amazing aria's ever written. I never tire of listening to it.

It's a play whose lines became a language unto itself in my one significant relationship. "Don't pull a face, Katherine." meant: Please, don't be angry with me. "I had no idea how bitter about life your were" (response) "Neither did I!" meant: Don't be an asshole about this or that. "I believe in self-expression; I just think that it ought to mean something to someone else." meant: Am I wrong, but isn't this weird? Or, Do you get it? And on an on. Like Capt. Picard with the Darmok, a literary illusion spoken in a simple phrase bore the power of nuance and meaning that both conveyed a world of shared "knowings" and on occasion defused a difficult moment.

How we all use words assembled for one purpose to bring meaning to others, and how profound such words become in relationships in which they also represent shared experiences, shared understandings, shared lives....is a layer that makes this DVD a very intense one for me.

Still learning to let go of balloons.

No comments: