Sunday, February 04, 2007

Our Latest American Hero #64


michaelmkashkoush, originally uploaded by Randuwa.

For something a little different in this series, I'm honoring this American hero by sharing with you some of the testimonies first published on legacy.com's forum. Always I want you who read these posts to understand who has given the ultimate sacrifice for us. You probably get that I believe this war to be a fool's errand from which no good thing can come. BUT I AM TOTALLY in awe of and COMPLETELY beyond words of gratitude to express my support for our troops.

It makes me almost...ALMOST...wish that I believed in the traditional view of Heaven and Hell. Because then I could take some modicum of comfort from the fact that for every man and woman, boy and girl, whose life has been senselessly sacrificed in this war, those responsible for telling the lies that got us here and profitting from the spoils from and engagement in the conflict would at least receive their just rewards. But, alas, I have no faith. Only tears....


Marine Sgt. Michael M. Kashkoush, 24, of Chagrin Falls, Ohio, died Jan. 23 from wounds received while conducting combat operations in Al Anbar province, Iraq.  Kashkoush was assigned to 3rd Intelligence Battalion, III Marine Expeditionary Force, Okinawa, Japan.

Words from D.S. ~

I had the privilege of going to high school with Mike. We had many classes together. I have nothing but fond memories. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Amongst your sorrow you must have an overwhelming sense of pride. You raised a truly special man. Koush was a North Star-an unfaltering, consistent, bright guide for all that he touched. I will always remember him.

Words from M.M.

I was Sgt. Kashkoush's Military Language Instructor at the Defense Language Institute in Monterey, CA.

We all knew him as "Shukri" (his Arabic name in the class). He was easily one of the hardest working students in the group. He would stay after school for an hour or more several days out of each week to speak in Arabic with his language instructors.

I used to see him at the gym when I was working out, and we spotted for each other there a few times. He always put me to shame with the weights, and he challenged me to work hard and do even more with his good-natured ribbing.

He was friendly and hard working. He was always looking out for the other guy. He approached me on several occasions throughout the year to let me know when something was going on with his classmates that he thought I should be aware of, which helped me to be a better MLI for the rest of his class. He never asked me for anything for himself.

It was an honor to know Mike. I can not express the sorrow that I feel upon hearing this news.

I offer my deepest, heartfelt condolences and sympathy.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
And Now I Add This: We must all redouble our efforts to both work for and pray for peace. Humble, r.

No comments: