Thursday, June 28, 2007

What I'm Watching #89


oursons
Originally uploaded by Randuwa
Sometimes you can wonder if we really do move forward as a people. In the midst of this insane administration and our present malaise as a nation, it might be easy to believe that progress is fleeting, at best; and impossible at worst. If you ever feel that way, I have a suggestion: watch "Our Sons".

I picked this one up on sale, and I have to admit it was primarily because of the actor Zeljko Ivanek (whom I've loved since his role in Mass Appeal")--He's the one on the cover of the DVD that you can't name! I'd never heard of "Our Sons" until I saw it in the TLA Video catalogue, and I have no idea were it first aired or why it was produced. It was made in 1990. I'm sure it was a well meaning attempt by veteran actors (Julie Andrews & Ann Margaret) and young up-and-comers (Hugh Grant and Zeljko) to participate in a meaningful and empowering film about AIDS. And that's the nicest thing I can say about it.

The writing is sophmoric, the production values kind of like 70's TV, and the portrayal of Arkansas as Ann Margaret's character's home (especially her "trailer park" neighborhood) is so HORRIFICALLY stereotypical I shudder while typing this. (Ann's own chain smoking character ought to have learned how to smoke before pretending to do it and calling it acting!) I can't imagine any movie today offering such stereotyping as a serious attempt at portraying anything, let alone poor maligned Arkansas.

Zeljko I love, but sorry, zero stars for this one.

No comments: