Saturday, October 27, 2007

What I'm Listening To #30


sweetdanger
Originally uploaded by Randuwa
You know I'm a "Diva Whore". And it really runs the gamut. Be it Annie Lennox or Kathleen Battle, I'm lost equally in the audio presence of "Little Bird" or "L'Amero Saro Costante". Members of my Diva Club include: Mary Chapin Carpenter, Patty Griffith, Rosie Thomas, Cher, Ella Fitzgerald, Gloria Lane, Rosanne Cash, Ani Di Franco, Maria Calais, Billie Holiday, Iris DeMente, and on and on and on...never met a diva that I didn't love!

Enter into this world Suzy Bogguss. No stranger to the music scene and a truly talented vocalist. "Sweet Danger" is her newest CD. And as much as I love her voice, it's really uneven in its offerings. My favorite is "Even If That Were True". It capitalizes on her acoustic strengths and bucks the "country" label by dabbling in smooth jazz, even beguine sensibilities.

Suzy is a talented singer who has yet to find the right combination of songs, arrangements, production values to create the blockbuster CD that I feel is still lurking within her creative heart.

No comments: