Saturday, November 28, 2009

Black Friday Report

I ventured out on Friday, the most wicked shopping day of the year.

My first stop was Silver Spring, Maryland. There I found a parking lot only 60% full (a typical friday would find it 90% full). I purchased a flood light at Stroessener's Hardware (and helped a newly hired hispanic man with a crisp haircut--muy guapo--navigate the particulars of the cash register without any other customer appearing to cramp the experience.) Next, I visited the Border's Booksellers across Fenton Avenue and purchased an audio copy of Sarah Vowell's "The Wordy Shipmates". The store was only as busy as it would be on any other afternoon.

I left Silver Spring after finding no suitable table at Pier One Imports and drove over to IKEA in College Park. IKEA can be an utter nightmare, however, I found a descent parking place and made my way through the store comfortably to the purchase of a EFFECTIV cabinet. It matches two others that I had purchased there in the past and cost half as much as anything I would have seriously entertained at Pier One.

Other stops included the Bank of America branch in College Park, and the Giant in Hyattsville. Both were nearly empty. Make of this anecdotal data what you will....

No comments: