Saturday, November 07, 2009

What I'm Watching #215

"Finding Me" was billed as a breakthrough film from a Haitian-American director/writer. I'm no one to dispute that, except I'd ask, "Break through to what?"

My answer: a sincere story, but not a very good film in the sense of things that make films good. Things like acting, directing, lighting, sound production, writing....

When I was in 6th grade, a group of friends (classmates) and I wrote and made a film, a murder mystery. It was a school project. The school nurse's husband, Mr. Gormley, volunteered to use his new camera (8mm hand held) to do the actual filming. He was very generous to not only film it, but to do it the way we wanted him to! The year was 1972.

This film made in 2009, reminded me time and again of that experience.

No comments: