Saturday, February 06, 2010

First Views From Snowmaggedon Ground Zero!

This view of my backyard from ground level makes me think of the forest with the snow queen from Narnia. Like a magical place where friendly satyrs and enchanted folk lurk amidst the snow laden branches. The lump in the lower left hand corner reminds me of a Beehive hair-do which my birdbath is now sporting! The rim of the bowl on the bath is 24" and the snow at ground level is almost to the top of the rim, so say 26" (unofficially).

Looking down from the second floor of my home on the backyard you can also see how the snow have covered the deck.












The frozen fountain in the front yard also sports a beehive! My truck sits ensconced in the snow just beyond it.




A bird's eye view of the same. You can see the tracks left by the last vehicle to venture down the street (probably 3 to 4 hours before this picture was taken). Stepping into them the snow only went to the base of my calf, the snow outside of the furrow passed my knee and frankly took me by surprise when I first stepped out into it.

Here is a total from the side of my front walk. I can't open the back door, so no testing the snow on the deck! It comes in at 23.5". The snow depth behind it is a little higher, but the angle of the camera distorts that a bit.

Here is a total from my front stoop. It comes in at 30.25". The truth lay somewhere in the middle. Though the wind wasn't ferocious, it did cause a little drifting. My neighbor found a spot that he felt was representative of his yard and plunged the yardstick to a depth of 27".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.