Sunday, June 27, 2010

Wedding Blessings!

William Gary Loman, Jr. and Brock Patrick McCormack

The very pinnacle of the Wedding Announcement is the wedding announcement that appears in the New York Times' Wedding/Celebrations section. This isn't the first time a same-sex couple has appeared there -- although it's not been that long ago when the first one did appear (AUG 2002) and when it did, it's wasn't a wedding announcement, but a commitment ceremony.

On the verge of a proposition 9 ruling in the courts in California that will surely re-establish the right of Californians to marry regardless of gender, this recent announcement featuring a couple who wed in the latest jurisdiction to make it legal, the District of Columbia, is so charming.

Hare is an excerpt from the announcement of the Lowman ~ McCormack nuptials on June 19 at the Westin Grand Hotel in Washington, D.C.:

The couple met in August 2004 during their first week of law school. Mr. Lowman and a female classmate who was his roommate went on a class outing to a minor league baseball game in Winston-Salem. But the roommate had an agenda and wanted Mr. Lowman to help her out.

“She said there was this guy who was really cute, but she didn’t know if he was gay or not, so she wanted me to check him out,” he said.

Mr. McCormack said he was totally out of place because he never attended baseball games. “I didn’t know they were scoping me out,” he said.

Mr. McCormack added that he had already noticed Mr. Lowman on campus.

“I could see him talking to friends, and they were all laughing,” Mr. McCormack said. “I could see he was a fun spirit, but I wanted to be focused on my law studies, so I kept my nose in the books and didn’t pursue him.”

Later that year they became good friends, with their relationship blossoming from there as they discovered more and more shared interests.

“He would come over to my house, and we would play different Broadway soundtracks and sing along,” Mr. McCormack said. “We both knew all the words to ‘Wicked,’ and that’s how we bonded.”

Their relationship turned romantic at a Super Bowl party that Mr. McCormack hosted in February 2006. He had invited a group of friends who were not big football fans, and after watching for a while, he and Mr. Lowman turned on show tunes and got up and sang.


Gentlemen, may I add my blessings!

Here's to your prosperity, your good health and happiness,
and most important ...
To life, to life, la kayim!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site randuwa.blogspot.com
Is this possible?