Sunday, September 11, 2011

Walter C. Righter, 1923-2011

Ret. Bishop Walter C. Righter has died. He was a man with tremendous integrity who stood up for GLBT people in the church at a time when it was not popular and the church sought to punish him for his courage.

In the heat of his ecclesiastical trial, I sent him a note to thank him for his sacrifice. He sent me such a lovely handwritten response along with a photo of himself with his family (wife, children, grandchildren--a happy tumbled lot of people taken in the outdoors.) I admired him greatly.

I heard that he died peacefully this very morning, and I am certain that he was surrounded by members of his beloved family.

Walter Cameron Righter, October 23, 1923 - September 11, 2011; may light perpetual shine upon him.

3 comments:

Maryrose said...

As Walter's daughter in law, thank you for your kind words. I will be sure to pass them to the rest of the family.

JJ Roa Rodriguez said...

Your words describe how you respect the man. Nice one!

May he rest in peace in the care of the Almighty....

JJRod'z

Randuwa said...

Maryrose, may you and your family find comfort in your grief.