Tuesday, December 20, 2011

FEDEX Tale

I have a holiday soiree tomorrow evening and I finally decided on the final gift last Friday. Knowing that I would be cutting it close, I paid way too much for 1-2 day express shipping. Nothing arrived on Monday. So it HAD to get to my place today.

I came home at about 5 PM to discover no package and a FEDEX slip stuck to my door. In the past I have used this method once and the package was left on my stoop. The message was that no one was home when the driver attempted delivery. If I wanted the package tonight I would have to pick it up myself at a FEDEX facility in DC. Actually located in a dicy area of DC, it would not be available any sooner than 7:30 PM. The facility closes at 8:30 PM, giving me a one hour window.

So, I called FEDEX 1-800 # to complain. I was clearly not happy, but I kept my cool and after making it perfectly clear in a very professional way that it was too late for a re-deliver and If I wanted to have it to take to work in the morning, I would have to drive into DC tonight to get it myself--I caught myself and thanked the man on the phone for listening. I told him that I did appreciate what he was telling me.

I then made dinner: steamed broccoli, haricort vert, red peppers, tossed with stewed tomatoes and italian spices, hard boiled eggs and avocado tossed in a light caesar dressing.

At seven I prepared to leave when I heard a rustling at the front door. As I was reaching to open it, I heard the sound of the truck zooming away, and there was my package! Oh, happy day. Oh good and faithful FEDEX man/woman. I am writing an appreciation letter to FEDEX's corporate headquarters and to the storage facility in DC with enough pertinent information that I hope it gets back to the people responsible. The new Brown?--FEDEX!

No comments: