Friday, June 07, 2013

Green Vegetable Soup with Egg and Lemon

Dinner: Green Vegetable Soup with Egg and Lemon. As I do not measure things very well I will just do my best here, even though the recipe comes from my new Cookbook. I don't really follow recipes either! 



I started with 32 oz of Chicken Stock (3 cups?) and added another 3-4 cups of Water, a dash of Kosher Salt, a Chicken Bouillon Cube, and got the broth to heating. To this I added all chopped or sliced in various ways to suit my fancy (all ingredients fresh) this array of vegetables:

1 glove of Garlic crushed and diced
1 bunch of Oyster Mushrooms
a heaping fist full of Green Beans
The leafier central stalks from a Celery stalk stems and leaves
1 bunch of Scallions
1 medium-large Zucchini
the sad partially dehydrated remains of a Red Pepper--about 25% of the original bloke (found in fridge)
1 large JalapeƱo Pepper
1 8 OZ pack of baby Spinach
Black Pepper to taste.

Separately I whisked very well 2 Eggs and then whisked into them the juice of 1 large freshly squeezed Lemon.

After the veggies had cooked tender on a low-medium heat (I dunno 30 minutes or so from when the first ones went in--add the spinach the last 5 mintues) Turn off heat and let all boiling cease. Then take a ladle of the hot broth and very slowly whisk it into the egg and lemon juice mixture--you are bring the temp of this mixture up without cooking the egg--if the egg curdles, to much hot broth too fast, got it? There is no rush here. Repeat with two more ladles of the hot mixture and then slowly stir all of it back into the soup.

Bottom line? TO DIE FOR!

No comments: