Saturday, June 15, 2013

Stuffed Cabbage = Comfort Food


Sometimes called "Pigs In A Blanket," this is really a simple meal to make and one of those perennial ones from my childhood that I have to recreate from time to time as an adult.  It never fails to make me happy.

It also lends itself to a crock pot, but this time I made it in the oven.  Ready to go it, it's pictured above.

What you see are "fists" of molded "stuffing" wrapped in the larger leaves of a cabbage placed on a bed of Encurtido SalvadoreƱo (Mom used sauerkraut--which ups the sour quotient as is more traditional to the recipe) and diced canned tomatoes (I used plain, but here you have choices to with all of the wonderful spiced and inclusive varieties of diced canned tomatoes out there Ro*Tel® makes a kick ass spicy version that would be awesome).


I served it with whipped potatoes that I added fresh herbs from my gardens to: Thyme, Rosemary, and Marjoram, as well as, some grated Gruyere cheese that I found in the fridge.


The "stuffing" is as simple as can be and as changeable as anyone's whims and creativity.  This is the basic set of ingredients and how I "changed" them today.  Ground Beef (I used a package of Laura's Lean Ground Beef a local distributor of organic, antibiotic free Beef), onion (I found these ginormous scallions at the A & H Market this morning and used 6 of them), Pepper Red and Green (I added a large JalapeƱo, too).  I didn't use either salt or black pepper, but did use dried Oregano.

The result was a mild flavor that allowed the peppers and oregano to sing lead.


The fresh greens in my gardens are just about spent, so I used the opportunity to create this dessert salad with the help of a White Peach and some sweet Vidalia Onion salad dressing.  The perfect cap to this wonderful meal.

No comments: