Friday, July 19, 2013

Romeo My Beloved

Summer is a lazy time.  It's a time for taking naps!  Today, Romeo and I took a nap, but I was more tired than he, so he left the bed and I slept on.  Then I woke up to an odd sound--and it turned out that Romeo was chewing on a favorite old book of mine.

Honestly?  My book!?  I got up and shouted "WHAT!"  Romeo ran off down the stairs and I proceeded to scream a lot.  Then I went down stairs and slammed the book on the floor in the foyer and cried out "AAARRRGH!"  I turn to where he was standing, holding the damaged book in my hands and shaking it in his direction and said loudly, "What?!" again.

Romeo responded by running to me and falling over on his back.  He's such a good boy.  It completed deflated my anger.  I then just looked at him and said for the umpteenth time, "What...."  He jumped up and ran to the stairs and crouched on a step.  I don't know who between us is the greater drama queen.  I placed the book on a little table next to the door, turned, grabbed my wallet and keys and left.

I drove to our local boutique Dog store, the Big Bad Woof, and talked to the young lady managing the store.  She showed me several options and talked about how her dog responded to them.  In the end I chose a frozen marrow filled beef bone.

When I got home, my precious Romeo was still sitting on the stairs (no longer crouching, but clearly still waiting for me.)  I called to him and he ran up to greet me and then smelled the bag and got all excited.  The beef bone proved a far better option than a book.

Here he is making a far better choice with my help.  The bone is frozen and he did manage to clear it's exterior of all of the moist elements before they thawed and became messy--just as the sales clerk described her dog's reaction to them.  Once he clears out the marrow, I can re-stuff them like I do his kong, freeze that and give it back to him to work on.  I really like this option better than the rubber kong.

No comments: