Friday, July 05, 2013

Today's Atlas: Afghanistan

What did Today's Atlas by Rand McNally teach me about Afghanistan back in 1972?

#1: It taught me where it was, and some basic facts.


#2: It gave me a map with some idea about the natural resources and economic activities.


#3: It showed me images that left me with the impression that Afghanistan was a backward nation, but placed a high priority on modernity and was a place where women and children mattered.

 CAPTION: These handsome youngsters are children of Afghan nomads.

 CAPTION: A teacher holds these Afghan children spellbound.  Oil has made it possible for many Middle Eastern lands to improve schools.

CAPTION: This modern Afghan girl, no longer veiled and in traditional Moslem garb, is learning to become a surveyor so that she can join the work force that is pushing ahead the road improvement program in Afghanistan.

#4: It gave me the idea that Afghanistan wasn't that different for European nations, especially those with mountains and snow.

CAPTION: Kabul, capital and chief marketplace of Afghanistan, lies on a high, mountain-edged plateau.

No comments: