Sunday, September 08, 2013

My Little Free Library

The Little Free Library is a movement begun in Wisconsin and Minnesota.  People create a "Little Free Library" and then they place books in it for neighbors to borrow, or take, and a place where they can share a book with others.  You can read more about it here: Little Free Library

Mine was registered as #8921, which I guess would tell you how many others there are that are officially part of the movement as of September 3, 2013.

Here a photographic journey of the creation of mine!

I had 5/8 plywood and used it to cut out the basic parts following the design dimensions that Little Free Library provided on their website.


 Adding the shelf made the structure stronger and gave a place for books taller that 12".

 I used tongue and groove paneling for siding.  I love the stuff.

 Painted the inside with a light yellow to reflect the light.

 All of the colors came from paint that I also had around.  In fact, I didn't spend over $30.00 in extra items to create it.

 I used the free laminate floor sample from Lowe's and Home Depot to use as "shingles" for the roof.


 The post is ready to place in the ground!

 The door was a bit fancy...

 Bit it fit just fine and the placard on the roof is from Little Free Library to identify it as a registered "official" member of the movement.

And, of course, Roméo, was my constant little helper!  Every library needs one.

No comments: