Saturday, September 26, 2015

Busy Week in the Park #2 - The Offensive Teens Incident

This is the playground.
Imagine the deer are 18 to 20 year old boys
Went to the park with Romeo after work today. Three or four young guys were hanging out on the children's playground equipment when we arrived. One of them shouted something to me and I looked at them--didn't get a good look. The shouter appeared to be taller than the others, and the two that I did see better seemed to be Hispanic or Anglo, maybe wearing school uniforms? (There's a Parochial Catholic High School near the park called Our Lady of Perpetual Sorrows)

I didn't hear what the kid said and so sincerely called back, "What?" and then the taunting and comments exploded--very adolescent shit. Mocking me. Sexual innuendoes. Laughter and self-adulation for his clever repartee surrounded by his buddies' affirmations. I just ignored them at that point and yet, the "alpha dude" continued to yell at me, even after I was over the bridge and pretty much out of sight. I heard them mock others on the trail at that point. A female jogger ran up to where Romeo and I were and then slowed down. It seemed clear to me that she was working to get some distance from them. Then a bike rider came after her, slowing down once he crossed the second bridge.

Romeo and I continued on our walk and did our stuff and returned to the park about 20 minutes later, only to be accosted again. I completely ignored them at this point. We drove home, and I called the police. I explained the situation, how it was inappropriate and threatening behavior with jeers of a sexual nature in a park children frequent. I mentioned the recent attacks of cabbies by a group of young men and made it clear that I expected a police response. Not five minutes later a patrol car sped past my home in the direction of the park.

Now, I can assure you that no cop in Takoma Park is gonna fly down there and shoot these fools, but enough is enough. You don't get to act like assholes and threaten others just because you have too much testosterone and need to masturbate instead of pissing on strangers to impress your friends.

No comments: