Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Twice Baked Potato Kale Casserole

 Twice Baked Potato Kale Casserole is my invention.  Yes, it's derivative, all art is. 

Here are most of the ingredients--I forgot the Bacon!  Land Sake's Alive, what was I thinking?

 And the No Brainer?  It's a twice-baked potato recipe, so you do have to start by baking the potatoes!  I do mine in aluminum foil with a little butter and salt.

 I pull up the foil until the edges meet and then tightly roll them down together.  I then more loosely twist the ends before baking for an hour or so at 350˚.  Then I remove them and let them cool completely while still wrapped.  This takes about 3 or 4 hours.  So timing in this otherwise simple recipe is key.  I do the potatoes at breakfast so that by early afternoon they are ready for the next part of the process.

 It all depends on the condition of the skin for me as to whether or not I peel the potatoes.  When I use Russets, the reddish-brown skins add an extra layer of color and nutrition to the finished casserole.  These skins were rather rough and so I chose to peel them.  Fact, peeling cooled baked potatoes is super EASY.

 Once in a mixing bowl, I grate the 8 OZ bar of Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese.  (Remember, packages of shredded cheese contain pulverized cellulose--sawdust--to keep it from clumping.  Who needs to ingest sawdust?--and be charged extra for it!!!?)

 Next, mix the 8 oz container of Sour Cream with about as much Mayonnaise.  It doesn't have to be a 1 to 1 ratio.  And roughly mash up the potatoes.

 Finally, mix the potatoes, sour cream/mayo mixture and cheese.  Conserve a little bit of the cheese to use later as a topping.

 Time to turn our attention to the Kale.  Chop it up!  I had more than I needed and so chopped up about 12 fronds.  At the same time I took two strips of Bacon and cut them up into bits.

 Start by frying up the bacon to release the grease on a medium temp, and when it's nearly there flop in as much minced garlic as you like.  I used about a teaspoon and a half's worth!  Stir it all together.

 Then add the chopped kale with a little kosher salt. 

 Immediately stir and flip it as it cooks and continue this for about a minute and then remove from the burner.  You are just basically blanching it in the heat and grease--you are NOT cooking it out of it's senses.  Let it cool for about 10 minutes so it doesn't melt the cheese when you mix it with the potato base

 To combine the kale and potatoes, I have learned this trick.  Place half of the potatoes in your casserole and then divide the cooked kale between the two.  Mix them well in their separate containers and place the contents of the bowl in the casserole. 

 It will make the process much easier.  Remember to preheat the oven for 300˚ this time.

 Last task is to sprinkle the conserved cheese over the top and then some Smoked Paprika.  When the oven is ready.  Bake it uncovered for about 50 minutes.


Voila!

No comments: