Monday, November 21, 2016

Something Completely Different

This whole adventure started with a "Tasty" video on Facebook called "Green Bean Casserole Cup"!  And as it turned out the things was also a promotional for Ritz Crackers®.  In there version it was all about the Green Bean casserole, I decided to take it in a different direction.
 First, I assembled all the ingredients: pictured above.
 Then I started by working on the "cup" portion.  In the original I used the same amounts of crackers (36) and crispy fried onions (1 cup)--but the third ingredient I took exception to and liberties with.  Tasty called for 2 1/2 cups of condensed Cream of Mushroom soup.  Clearly a ridiculous amount.  1 can is about 1 1/4 cups.  I wasn't using the Cream of Mushroom soup, but the Cheddar Cheese soup, and use only 1 can.
Crackers and crispy fried onions
Pulverized into crumbs
1 can of condensed Cheddar Cheese soup
 And the results were a gooey, creamy peanut butter consistency "batter".  Hmm.  Not like the video at all...
 So I added 12 more crackers and thickened it up a little.  In hindsight, I think I would use even less condensed soup--maybe just 2 1/2 Tablespoons?
 And yet, you sometimes go to baking with the batter you have, not the batter you want...
 Second, I prepared the extra ingredients to the "corn pudding" filling.  Mostly dicing, a little grating. I'm sure you can figure it out. Of the cheese, I only used 4 oz.
Prepared added ingredients
 The "corn pudding" part included all of the above in the proportions shown with ample amounts of freshly ground Black Pepper, and some Nutmeg within and a little more sprinkled on top.
 Once the above ingredients were well mixed, at the others" Jalapeño Peppers, Sweet Red Peppers, Canadian Bacon and Monterrey Jack Cheese (remember I used 4 oz)

 Fill the cups thusly.  The bake in a 350˚ oven for about 45 minutes.  Less if your oven bakes hot and more if not--right?
 This is what emerges...
 And the rest of the filling in a small baking dish, too!
 Turned out the "casserole cups" looked pretty good.
Turned around the were good and even more delicious.  I'd honestly do this again.

No comments: