Thursday, November 24, 2016

What I'm Reading #96: Winter Bear Book #1

I confess that I really don't like most children's books about Thanksgiving. Especially those that attempt to tell it's "history". They're just so lacking. They never mention that one of the first acts of the first Pilgrims was to ransack a Native American Village, dig up and steal their winter provisions and desecrate and rob a few graves for good measure all in the name of their God's providence! I dunno why, but they always seem to miss that part.


So instead, I turn to nature and there are a surprising number of books that deal with bears going into hibernation! A topic I am especially fond of these short, cold November days. This one is by Jim Arnosky and is called "Every Autumn Comes The Bear". It's a very simply told tale of a bear that lives on a wooded mountain behind the author's farm and this bear's encounters with the other animals on the mountain on his way to his winter's nap. The medium is watercolor and the images are just luscious! Here are just a few.






No comments: