Saturday, July 08, 2017

Frédéric Bazille and the Birth of Impressionism

Ran down to the National Gallery of Art today to catch the special exhibition "Frédéric Bazille and the Birth of Impressionism" before it closes on Sunday.  I have long admired what little I knew of this B-List Impressionist, and today I grew greatly in my admiration of his skills.

I made the mistake of going to the West Building where the NGA's Impressionist paintings are on display only to discover that this show was being presented in the Modern I.M Pei East Building.  And there were these lovely posters to point me to the correct building.  They featured one of his early self-portraits.
I didn't bring a camera since I assumed that photography would not be allowed, but it was allowed with the exception of select works borrowed from private collections.  So I did the best I could to capture a few of my favorites with my smart phone's camera...  
"The Beach at Sainte-Adresse" Oil on canvas 1865 from the collection of the High Museum of Art in Atlanta, Georgia
"Still Life with Heron" Oil on canvas 1862 from the collection of the Musée Fabre in Montpellier, France
"View of the Village" Oil on canvas 1868 from the collection of the Musée Fabre in Montpellier, France
"Fisherman with a Net" Oil on canvas 1868 from the collection of the Arp Museum Bahnhof Rolandseck/Sammlung, Germany
"Young Woman with Peonies" Oil on canvas 1870 from the collection of the National Gallery of Art Washington, DC
"The Ramparts at Aigues-Mortes" Oil on canvas 1867 from the collection of the Musée Fabre in Montpellier, France

No comments: