Sunday, November 12, 2017

Salisbury Zoo, Salisbury, Maryland; part 2 of 6

I entered the zoo from the East Entrance, which has its own parking lot (and to give you a sense of scale: it holds about 24-30 vehicles) I got there around 12:50 and the zoo opened at 9:00 AM. As I entered a small group of developmentally delayed adults with their care givers was leaving--gave me an immediate good feeling.

The map makes the zoo feel like it has open field spaces, but it really doesn't. It's very wooded with lots of old-growth trees. The first thing I noticed was a sculpture of a Great Blue Heron and so proceeded to explore a small "herb" garden to my right.

 From there I traverses the path around the new (and closed) visitor center where I encountered tropical birds: Sun Conures, American Flamingos, Green-winged Macaws, and others. I also saw their American Alligator and their two-toed Sloth. The Alligator was content to remain within his enclosure and the Sloth was...well, a sloth! Which is to say a ball of fur curled up in a corner of an otherwise spacious enclosure. Though the map said there were also Bolivian Titi Monkeys with the Sloth, I saw evidence of their presence.






 One of the American Flamingos was particularly curious and in my face. It made for some interesting observation. They always look pissed off, but who really knows what the beautiful bird was intrigued by or interested in communicating? He/she even followed me from one viewing station to another! Shame I don't speak Flamingo.


No comments: