Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Costa Rican Memoir #3


colegiometodista
Originally uploaded by Randuwa.
My position at Colegio Metodista was my first full time teaching job. Trained in elementary/middle school, I was hired there to teach high school (grades 9-11, geography/English), which was a really great experience.

It taught me that it's not the subject or the age that matters, but the people. Information can be found in books, on websites, from many sources. It does not transform individuals as powerfully or as completely as a personal witness -- a caring relationship.

We each hold the potential to rock the worlds of those around us, simply by demonstrating love for one another. This is NOT a religious thing. Anyone can care; and everyone needs to feel cared for.

I recently found a card from my nineth grade geography students which they gave to me on the occasion of "Father's Day" in 1984. Mind you, I was scarcely old enough to be any of their older brothers, and certainly NOT any of their fathers. Here are a couple of the quotes:

"Thank you. You're like a 2nd father to me" ~ S. Jimenez

"Thank you for being such a special friend and a great "Daddy"..." ~ S. Kravitz

"A very happy and special day to you 'Daddy'!" ~ D. Gonzalez

No comments: