Thursday, July 07, 2005

R. O. C. (Taiwan) Memoir #1


taiwanmap
Originally uploaded by Randuwa.
As I said earlier, I've been very blessed to have had the opportunity to travel and live in various places. I spent my summer in 1981 in Taiwan. It was an interesting time to be there. The United States was just removing it's ties to the Republic of China militarily, in favor of a better relationship with the People's Republic of China -- an initiative begun under Nixon and then receiving greater impetus under Reagan.

So I spent the summer teaching ESOL (English as a Second Language) at an Chung Tai Academy in T'aichung. T'aichung was the third city at the time, behind T'aipei and Koahsuing. The population was about 350,000. I taught four classes that ranged from a group of girls from the city's premier girl's high school, to adults with a fair ability with English, to beginners (adults with very little exposure to the language).

The experience was awesome, and formed the basis for my choice to become a teacher. I will share more from this time, over time.

No comments: