Saturday, September 30, 2006

A Found Image & Poem


223997223_7a6114be12_o
Originally uploaded by Randuwa.
I do not know where this image comes from. I found it online and made a copy of it without including any source references... Bad me.

But I really like it. It's a study in perspective and color with potent results. I've often struggled with apprehending the idea of the sublime in art, but this photo crystalizes the concept for me.

Back in the early years of this millenium, when I was still living with my ex-, I began a series of poems built around snatches of conversations we were having. At the time it was just an impulse, and now I think it clearly represented something much larger in the evolution of our relationship. Like most of the ideas which grab us from somewhere within, it was another iceberg of the soul.

This image reminded me of one of those poems, and I am ready to share it with you now.


CONVERSATION #2

Did I ever tell you that I love you?

Yes. It scares me.

Why?

It’s too big. It’s like falling into the sky.

We sit at the red light, waiting to proceed.

Debussy fills our stillness from the radio
in my pick-up, and I
can see a stranger speaking
to the driver of the car next to us.

My hand draws circles on the inside of your
left thigh, slowly.

Where is all of this light coming from?



Life is such a mystery. Little wonder that we struggle to discover meaning, and our place in it, with something as amazing as poetry!

No comments: