Sunday, December 30, 2007

Art I'm Seeing #24


allfaithbeautiful
Originally uploaded by Randuwa
On another grey and rainy winter Sunday, I fended off the 'blues' by visiting one of the most amazing art museums in the world and thus recharging my batteries. The last time I visit the American Visionary Art Museum in Baltimore: AVAM for short, I was less than impressed by the exhibition titled: "Home & Beast". This time "All Faiths Beautiful" completed restored my faith in AVAM!

The exploration of faith in art is anchored by an amazing collection of anonymously created, composed postcards expressing sentiments of faith. They were really a powerful testimony to the inner lives of people everywhere in relation to God/OR/Not. Within the show other artists are standouts; but having not taken so much as a pen with me; can I recall their names? Pish posh! Yet, I feel compelled to describe at least two of them: 1) A somewhat recluse artist from the Shenandoah Mountains of Virginia who's intricate and complex pen and ink with watercolor drawings required magnifying glasses to partake their details fascinated me. He built his drawings around themes of unity and eclectic spiritual traditions. 2) A triptych of panels suspended in a "windowed-wall" to allow viewers to experience all sides. The subjects are Mohammed, Jesus, and Buddha. The medium combined both oil paint applied thickly to permit the crafting of textures and wood tiles laid in a mosaic fashion. They were gorgeous....and I do recall that the artist's last name was Vargas.

Only one space in the exhibit disappointed and that was a panoramic display of pages from the book "The Illuminated Rumi". I love Rumi; I think that the art is valid. BUT the presentation in this exhibit as photocopies from the book was little more than an embedded advertisement for the book; which is on sale in the AVAM gift shop. Tsk tsk tsk.

Otherwise, it's a show that's a homerun in my book. I will look forward to dropping another $12 in future to see it again.

No comments: