Sunday, August 16, 2009

What I'm Watching #210

"Denied is a Canadian film from 2004 about the angst between a becoming self-accepting gay former high school football star and his sexually ambiguous artsy slacker roommate. And the movie is all about the angst. I could have sworn that I knew both of the principle actors, Lee Rumohr (Troy) and Matt Austin (Merrick), but a quick visit to IMDB proved me wrong; though both had short/reaccurring roles on the US version of Queer as Folk, a TV series I've never seen. I think at least for Lee Rumohr the false recollection has everything to do with his uncanny resemblance to French actor, Stéphane Rideau.

In a way this movie reminded me of my own college years when I still wasn't ready to own my sexuality and so kept falling into intimate mostly unrequited liaisons with straight boys (it's surprising how far two young men will go with each other when they are both "straight")....interesting film, not at all what I expected.

No comments: