Thursday, August 06, 2009

What I'm Reading #18

The memoir of recently passed-into-ancestry writer E. Lynn Harris is making for some very compelling summer reading. He starts his tale with his 1990 suicide attempt, and then takes you back to the events in his life that led him to that point, and then the journey to wholeness and fulfillment. It makes his untimely death two weeks ago all the more poignant. At times his story is tremendously painful to read, but you're never that far away from grace, from goodness.

He says of memoir himself, "The lessons I have learned are not limited to race, gender, or sexual orientation. Anyone can learn from my journey. Anyone can overcome a broken heart."

I would love if every teacher at my school would read this story to increase their empathy quota.

1 comment:

Randuwa said...

I played this one out and just finished it today. I did this, because I already knew how it was going to end. And the knowledge of that only made the end of my read all the more painful. What a story, what a loss.....