Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Facebook Phenom!

I read today that Facebook has declared itself profitable. Well, bully for them! I have yet to spend a dime there, but who knows?

When it comes to Facebook, I'm both late to the party and a neophyte. And then add to that my INFP status psychologically, and no sooner had I joined than I personally had to put the brakes on my Facebook world. I literally can't keep up with it. Given the range of posts, I'm not even sure that I understand it's raison d'etre, either. Why, just tonight, I used it as a way to negotiate a substitute teacher for a colleague of mine at school who's not even one of my friends!

So who are my friends? Too many Episcopal priests! Priests from Cheyenne, WY, Newark, NJ, Cincinnati, OH, Opelika, AL & St. Louis, MO; College professors from St. Mary's College, MD, Rutgers, NJ & Bowling Green State, OH; Teaching collegues from Lexington, KY & Gathersburg, MD; a former high school classmate who lives in Tampa, FL; a political activist from Kansas; an author from New York, New York; a friend and former TV talkshow host from Mexico now living in Houston, TX; art curators living in Maryland and Texas, a college employee and friend in Tennesse, and former fuck buddy & friend in Boston, MA, etc....

These and the rest are 28 lives more than enough to keep track of and comment on and support.... So Facebook: Thumbs up or thumbs down? Jury's still out, but grateful that FB making a profit means that they will likely be around long enough for the jury to make a wise decision.

No comments: