Monday, September 28, 2009

More Garden Pictures, Garden Rambling...

I have lots of clay pots--every gardener does--and many sit around with dirt in them from the previous year. Many of mine also sprout with various seeds from plants long ago purchased. One of my perennial favorites is the tomatios. Back in the late 90's I bought some to make a dip for a party from a recipe that my ex- gave to me. The unused fruit ended up in my compost heap. I use the dirt from this to support my planters, foster new seeds, fill in around new plantings. At some point, from one of my planters, new tomatios sprang! And they have been springing in more and more pots year in and year out. They bear the sweetest, most amazing little pearls of fruit, and like plucking fresh peas in the early spring; I spend August to September enjoying their bounty!

In a similar fashion, the Silvia in this image just happened. I can't even remember the last time I actually bought Silvia like this as an annual to plant in my gardens. It's been years. Yet, voila! Another volunteer. Others that surprise me year in and year out are impatiens, geraniums, and coleus.
This photo is from my Goldenrod garden off the back of my garage. This species of goldenrod, introduced to greenhouses back in 1993 from the University of North Carolina is called "Fireworks" (solidago rugosa). The bed blooms late when little else is, and each cutting makes any bouquet stunning!

I've clipped a couple to feature in a bouquet of various mustard and rust colored coleus foliage that I'm taking to school in the morning. And it is stunning.

No comments: