Saturday, November 27, 2010

What I'm Listening to #96

On a cold and blustery night in the first 'burb in Maryland north of the nation's capital, I'm keeping warm with Carmen Miranda!

There's nothing like Carmen Miranda to "pick up" my spirits. In The Man With The Lollipop Song she sings: "We can all be, just as happy as he, just by singing when anything goes wrong...like the man with the lollipop song!" Now, that's what I call sound advice!

My favorite song of her's is South American Way featured in Woody Allen's "Radio Days"; but the entire song has a deliciously naughty lyric that goes, "I-Yi, I-Yi, have you ever danced in the tropics? in that hazy, lazy, kinda of crazy, Sous Amayreekan way. I-Yi, I-Yi, have you ever kiss [sic] in the moonlight? in the grand and glorious, gay notorious Sous Amayreekan way!". And who in their right mind can resist her pronunciation of the song's title line: Sous Amayreekan Way?

It's really the perfect music for trimming the tree. I mean, sure, you'll end up wearing more of the ornaments than the tree, but what the hell? It's Christmas!

No comments: