Saturday, November 20, 2010

What I'm Watching #258

Have you ever read C. S. Lewis' Narnia series? I suppose at one time it was the cat's meow of children's serial fantasy fiction. Written as Christian apologetic allegory, they are, on the whole rather mundane books. So my initial expectation for them via this cinematic incarnation of Disney Studios wasn't very lofty.

However, the first installment utterly captured my imagination. This second has likewise proven itself worthy of a status rarely seen in literary adaptations to the "wide screen": It's better than anything Lewis wrote. The ability of the modern film industry to take words and transform them into images has scarcely ever been more brilliant.

So dear children, here's a bit of advice that I am happily transformed to offer: Screw the books, and long for the films.

That's my bottom line.

No comments: